“The most rare thing in Indian politics: a man untainted by corruption scandals.” Alas! What a statement and that too from ‘Dawn’, a Pakistani newspaper. Need we say more about the man who made Indian proud. True son of Indian soil.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee – The 10th Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, led India through the path of progress. Sample some projects/developments below:
- The Golden Quadrilateral connecting four metros Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata – Project finalized and commissioned by Vajpayee.
- In 1998 India conducted 5 nuclear tests under the guidance of Chief Project Coordinator Bharat Ratna APJ Abdul Kalam. This was done under the guidance of Vajpayee who dared every nation in the World with these tests. United States and many other countries shut their mouths and looked at awe towards India, thanks to Vajpayee.
- It’s the economy stupid!!! This is the most fundamental piece that decides who will form a Government. Vajpayee during his time unleashed several economic policies that are Stalwart. The New Telecom Policy unleashed the telecom revolution in India by replacing fixed license fees for telecom firms with a revenue-sharing arrangement and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd was born. He also kept the economy in a great shape despite natural disasters, oil crises, 9/11 and the Kargil War. The GDP rate was above 8 per cent, inflation was below 4 per cent and foreign exchange reserves were overflowing.
- Extending an olive branch to Pakistan. New Delhi to Lahore bus series was inaugurated by Vajpayee and he travelled in that bus to meet his counterpart Nawaz Sharif. Even with a nuclear test and Kargil war with Pakistan, Vajpayee was strong in his words but personally was always in touch with Sharif to maintain good relations
- Education policy. It was for the first time in India that elementary education became free for children aged 6-14 years It was launched in 2001 and brought a drastic change in the number of dropouts by 60 per cent
- Science and research. On India’s 56th Independence Day, he said, “Our country is now ready to fly high in the field of science. I am pleased to announce that India will send her own spacecraft to the moon by 2008. It is being named Chandrayaan. Vajpayee passed the Chandrayan-1 project
Great man with great vision. Only once in a while we’ve seen such politicians in India and he can lay in peace airing himself that he has progressed India from a Developing to a Developed Nation.