Your Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination notes were worthless paper after midnight yesterday. If your head is still spinning from the momentous announcement of the government to demonetise currency notes of higher denominations, here’s a simple guide of what to do and what not to do:
#The Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes can be deposited at banks or post offices between November 10 and December 30.
#Some limits have been placed on withdrawals from ATMs and banks in the very short run.
#Notes of denomination Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 will be accepted at the following places for 72 hours:
– Government hospitals and pharmacies
– Railway and airline ticket booking counters
– Government buses
– Petrol, diesel and gas stations of PSU companies like Indian Oil & Hindustan Petroleum
– Government authorised consumer cooperative stores and milk booths
– Crematoria and burial grounds
#No restrictions on non cash payment by cheque, demand draft, debit/credit cards or electronic fund transfers
#Do not exchange others’ cash, just turn in your own notes